SEAL kicked off our second quarter with a bang! Our team of expert trainers, researchers and advocates participated in several virtual and in-person presentations, amplifying the need to support multilingual learners now and in the future.
During the month of October we shared our knowledge, as well as learned from partners and other experts, during these insightful conversations.
The following are key takeaways that emerged from these discussions:
From the Margins to the Center: Imagining Aligned PreK-3 Systems for Multilingual Learners
- Host: Grantmakers for Education, Annual Conference
- SEAL Participants: Anya Hurwitz, Executive Director
- Early childhood and K-12 segments alignment to create a continuously rich and meaningful learning experience for students.
- Preschool to 3rd grade coherence – how policies, practices, and systems can work in sync – for multilingual learners, children who far too often fall through the cracks throughout these early years.
Elevando las Expectativas: Proporcionándole a cada estudiante un camino hacia el multilingüismo (Spanish webinar)
- Host: U.S. Department of Education’s Office of English Language Acquisition
- SEAL Participants: Patty Chavez, Head of External Relations
- Raise the Bar Initiative in the context of multilingual learner education.
- Importance of early learning, dual language, the seal of biliteracy and parent engagement as levers for multilingualism and multiliteracy in today’s global society and economy and discuss ways to elevate multilingualism.
- Access webinar resources
Developing Literacy Skills with Interactive Read Alouds
- Host: California Reading Association, Annual Conference
- SEAL Participants: Jennifer Clinkscales, Program Coordinator
- Integrating language, literacy and content
- Hands-on, effective strategies connecting the Narrative Input chart while incorporating literacy and language.
Unlocking Potential: Nurturing reading skills and biliteracy in English Learners (Webinar)